Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, will be godmother to new Saga ship Spirit of Discovery in Dover on July 5, it has been announced. It is not the first ship named by Camilla – when she launched Cunard’s Queen Victoria in 2007 the bottle refused to break.
Here are other royal godmothers:
- At the age of 12, the Queen saw her mother – then Queen Elizabeth – launch the first Queen Elizabeth for Cunard in 1938
- Her Majesty was back on the Clyde in 1967 to christen QE2
- She also named P&O Cruises ship Oriana in 1995, Cunard’s Queen Mary 2 in 2004 and the new Queen Elizabeth in 2010
- Her daughter Princess Anne, the Princess Royal, launched P&O Cruises’ Aurora in 2000 and Oceana in 2003
- The Queen’s daughter-in-law, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, named Cunard’s Queen Victoria in 2007
- Prince Charles’s former wife, the late Diana, Princess of Wales, named Princess Cruises’ former Royal Princess ship in 1984
- Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, christened the new Royal Princess in Southampton in June 2013.