UK transport secretary Grant Shapps has confirmed on Twitter that international cruises can restart from England starting on Monday (August 2).
CLIA Managing Director for UK & Ireland, Andy Harmer, said: ‘The decision to allow the restart of international cruise is very good news for the industry. The success of this summer’s round- Britain cruises has led the way.
‘The cruise industry has worked intensively during the last 18 months in collaboration with the Government, health authorities, ports, and other industry bodies to develop enhanced protocols that protect guests, crew, and the destinations we visit.
‘The industry looks forward to welcoming guests back on board to visit international destinations.’
P&O Cruises president Paul Ludlow said: ‘We are absolutely delighted with today’s announcement from the UK Government that international cruising can resume from the UK.’
Nick Stace, CEO of Saga Travel, said: Our customers have been eagerly awaiting certainty from Government so they can plan their cruises beyond UK shores and today’s news will give them the clarity they need to do that.’
A statement from the Department for Transport said: ‘Following the close monitoring of epidemiological evidence, gained through the restart of the domestic cruise industry earlier this year, the UK government has confirmed the go-ahead for international cruise sailings to restart from England in line with Public Health England guidance.
‘International cruise travel advice will be amended to encourage travellers to understand the risks associated with cruise travel and take personal responsibility for their own safety abroad.’
CLIA said it understands that the go-ahead for international cruises from British shores doesn’t only apply to UK holidaymakers but also to cruise guests arriving from abroad, as long as they abide by the entry requirements to come to England.
The Foreign Office had previously advised against international travel on ocean-going ships since March last year.
Its new advice can be read here.